The life and times of what goes on for a Resort Server. I live her I work here and I play here.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wine Class

I forgot to give an update on wine class. For the record I think this is going to be my favorite part of the week. It's just fun. All though information seemed to be a bit of a repeat this week. We discussed common assumptions people make when tasting wines. This was really brought up during the blind tasting. The first bottle was easy, a bottle of Riesling. The second I would have sworn was an Oregon Pinot Noir, everybody thought it was an Oregon Pinot Noir. It was a barberra from Italy. The second bottle I thought, well everyone thought was a Viognier. Instead it was the new house Chardonnay.

The point of the tasting is that wines are more artistry then science. That Vitners are creating more and more original wines that don't necessarily taste or behave like a wine that you've already had. Next week we've been asked to bring a bottle of wine as a 'typical' example of a varietal. The tasting will be blind for the teacher as well as the rest of us.

Fact I didn't know. Barrels are only used a few times and then they have to be replaced. Sometimes they're 'scraped' meaning the inside is scraped and then re-used.

No comments:

Post a Comment